The Mind Control lets the user take command of the iRobot Roomba Vacuuming
Robot or the iRobot Create. This small and powerful device lets the user write
custom programs for the robot in the C language while fitting in the space of
the robot's expansion port. It turns the Roomba or Create into a powerful
robotics development platform. With the Mind Control one can monitor all of the
robot's sensors, control its motors, play songs, and flash its LEDs, all in real
time. The user can write his or her own control programs on a PC and download
them to the Mind Control through a USB port. The Mind Control has no connection
to the user's computer while it is running.
The Mind Control does not make any lasting changes to the Roomba. It
temporarily takes control, issuing commands and reading sensors using the Roomba
Open Interface. When the Mind Control is unplugged, the Roomba goes back to
normal and is again ready to clean the floors.
Whether the user is a hacker, educator, or robotics hobbyist, the Mind
Control opens many exciting possibilities:
- Develop cleaning algorithms customized for the home.
- Teach robotics and programming at a fraction of the cost of most research
robots. Now every student can have his or her own robot.
- Carry out self-designed robotics experiments with the Roomba as an
inexpensive mobility platform.
- Entertain guests or pets with your Roomba's unique song and dance.
- Create an interactive robotic art exhibit.
The Mind Control is a complete development kit for programming the Roomba or
Create. The kit includes all of the necessary hardware and cables needed to take
control of the robot. All of the required software, including demonstration
code, is available for free download from the documentation website.
The Mind Control includes:
- Mind Control code stick
- Mind Control USB programmer
- USB cable for connecting to a computer
- Quick-start instruction guide
- Free access to the online product documentation and software download area
- Free technical support and user collaboration through the online Support Forum
- PC running Windows XP
- Free USB port
- Internet connection to download and install the
- The product documentation and user forums are also available online.
Please note that an iRobot OSMO Hacker may be required to utilize the Mind Control if your Roomba was manufactured before October of 2005.
The OSMO is not required for the iRobot Create. The Mind Control hardware and USB drivers are compatible with other operating systems but software support and documentation are currently only available for Windows XP.